Call for White Papers in Packaging
The Packaging Thrust area of SRC is soliciting white papers (due Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3pm ET) for contracts to be awarded as early as November 2015.
White paper submissions are requested for projects that will be funded for either 2 or 3 years. It is suggested, therefore, that each white paper describe what could be done in two years, as well as what additionally could be done if there were a third year for the project. Two year only white papers are also acceptable.
This call for research, issued to universities worldwide, may be addressed by individual investigators or by research teams. Successful white paper authors will be invited to submit full proposals, and a limited number of contracts will be awarded based on these proposals according to the schedule below. This process will be completed in two stages and only selected white papers will be advanced to the full proposal stage. We will pursue proposals based on quality, projected member value, and available funds. SRC GRC may also elect to negotiate a project's research scope or a team's composition to meet funding or synergy goals. A typical range of task funding has been in the $85-100k per year range for individual investigator-led projects.
Member needs in the Packaging thrust area, developed by a task force of SRC industry members, are outlined in the Research Needs Document (click here).
As further guidance, a WebEx conference call open to everyone has been set up in order to summarize the highlights of the Packaging Needs that we are soliciting white papers on.
Highlights are also listed here:
- Voltage Regulation Technology Supporting High Current & Low Footprint
- New Power Delivery Architectures (2-/2.5-/3-D), and Embedded High Efficiency Inductors
- Radical Low Cost Packaging for Multi-component SiP
- Novel Global System-level Interconnect Packaging (incl. optical) for Power-efficient, High-Bandwidth/Density
- Stretchable, Flexible Packaging for Wearable and IoT Applications
- Thermal Management of Hot Spots at the Component and System level
- Integration of High Density Capacitors (and Batteries)
- Novel/Organic Packaging Materials for Extreme Conditions
- Thermal Solutions for Mobile Applications (ergonomic, miniaturized, limited available power, etc.)
- Novel Integrated Sensors
- Nanomaterials for Packaging
- High capacity & efficient Performance, EM, and Thermo-mechanical Modeling
- Predictive Materials Interface Reliability Models
Responses are limited to two pages (including references), using at least a 10-point font, and must be submitted via the SRC website between March 16 - April 13,2015, with a deadline of 3 pm EDT / 12 pm PDT on Monday, April 13th. No email submissions will be accepted. White papers not meeting these requirements will not be considered.
Please include the following identifying information in your white paper:
- Project title
- Needs category/sub-categories addressed by your submission
- Telephone number and e-mail address
Please address the following topics in your white paper:
- Context: emphasis area and problem to be addressed
- Rationale: value in terms of semiconductor industry needs
- Novelty: role of this research in advancing knowledge beyond the state-of-the-art
- Approach: strategy for addressing the problem
- Results: anticipated output of a successful effort
- Engagement: how you now or will plan to interact with SRC member companies
- Funding/Duration: a per-year approximation of overall funding requirements (university approval and official budgets are not required at this time).
- Students: involvement and education of graduate students is a key SRC goal; typical funded proposals will support 1-2 full time students
- Background Intellectual Property: the extent, if any, that the use of background intellectual property will be required in pursuing the proposed research.
Contract Awardees will be expected to:
- Disclose blocking background intellectual property (any issues regarding blocking IP must be resolved before award of contract)
- Update information about participating students
- Submit publications resulting from sponsored research
- Participate in annual research reviews
- Provide annual reports and pre-defined deliverables
- Interact with liaisons
|White Paper Submission Open||Monday, March 16, 2015|
|Deadline to Submit White Papers||Monday, April 13, 2015, 3 PM EDT/ 12 PM PDT|
|Deadline to Submit Full Proposals||Wednesday, September 9, 2015, 3 PM EST/ 12 PM PST|
|Winning Proposals Notified||Monday, October 26, 2015|
|New Programs Start||January 1, 2016|