Semiconductor Research Corp. (SRC) Global Research Collaboration (GRC) is soliciting white papers in the area of Packaging (CHIRP). The principal goal of this program is to advance fundamental knowledge and innovations to create and explore advanced evolutionary, revolutionary, and transformative packaging technologies for reliably encapsulating and efficiently integrating microsystems, and enabling them to interface to the macro world. Only a very limited number of white papers will receive eventual funding.
White papers will be accepted from Purdue, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Polytechnic for the CHIRP focused call for research. Responses may be submitted by an individual investigator, or a research team from one or more of these institutions. Our selection process is divided into two stages. Interested parties are requested to submit a 1-page white paper, which should identify what can be done in a three-year period beginning January 1, 2020. A successfully selected white paper will result in an invitation to submit a full proposal. These proposals will be further down-selected for research contracts.
The number and size of the contracts awarded will be determined by the availability of funds, and by the number of high-quality proposals. The anticipated funding level per task is expected to be less than $50K per year, which includes the overhead expenses charged by the institution. This funding is expected to be supplemented by your institution as “cost sharing". Contracts awarded normally support 1-2 graduate students. The funding level requested will be a factor in the selection process. Proposals offering funding leverage (other funding resources related and beneficial to the proposed work) are encouraged and details should be described (ex. Fellowships, student support, fabrication support, etc.).
Our research needs are outlined in the Packaging (CHIRP) research needs document. Researchers should carefully review this document.
White Papers are limited to 1 page total, using a minimum of 10-point font size, and must be submitted via the SRC web-site by July 8, 2019 @ 11:59 PM ET/8:59 PM PT. Submissions not in compliance with all guidelines will be excluded from consideration.
Please include the following identifying information in your White Paper:
- Project title
- Investigator(s) and university.
- Principal investigator's contacts (telephone number, mailing address, and e-mail address).
Please address the following topics in your White Paper:
- Targeted Need: Emphasize area and problem to be addressed; match most relevant topic addressed in the research needs document.
- Approach: Present your strategy for addressing the problem. Describe important findings from your research to date. Describe how your proposed research would advance the state of the art and be useful to SRC member companies.
- Objective and Results: What you plan to accomplish in a 3-year period. What are the anticipated outputs of a successful effort?
- Funding Request and participants: Plan for yearly budget should include overhead charges by your institution. Besides faculty, please also indicate the number of students supported and their degrees pursued. A detailed approved budget is not required at this time.
- Funding Leverage: Leverage funding applicable to the proposed research.
- Background IP: Identify any blocking pre-existing intellectual property on which new results will be based.
Contract Awardees will be expected to:
- Assign a student to work on the project at the start of the contract
- PIs and student participation in annual project reviews.
- Student participation in SRC's Graduate student conference (TECHCON).
- Interact with industry liaisons.
- Submit reports for pre-defined deliverables in proposal.
- Submit publications resulting from sponsored research.
- File patents when applicable.
|Announcement of Call-for-White-Papers||Monday, June 10, 2019|
|Deadline to Submit White Papers||Monday, July 8, 2019, 11:59PM ET/8:59PM PT|
|Invitation to Submit Full Proposals||Thursday, August 1, 2019|
|Deadline to Submit Full Proposals||Friday, September 6, 2019, 11:59PM ET/8:59PM PT|
|Selected Proposals Notified||Tuesday, October 1, 2019|
|New Programs Start||Wednesday, January 1, 2020|