John Oakley, Director
Enabling the revolutionary transition from driver assistance to fully autonomous vehicles
The transformation of automobiles into safe, dependable, autonomous vehicles has already started with the increasing availability and capabilities of advanced driver-assistance systems today.
- This research program attempts to identify and define the technology required to enable the revolutionary transition from driver assistance to fully autonomous vehicles.
- In particular autonomous vehicles need to be better than their human counterparts in perceiving and understanding their environment, making the appropriate decisions, as well as, remaining safe and dependable in all driving conditions.
- To make this dream a reality, this program targets orders of magnitude improvements in perception, environmental learning, dependability, safety, power and cost.
- Advanced Reasoning and Learning
- Sensor Fusion and Perception
- High Dependability
Future Research Directions
- Robust security of systems, components, and networks
- Automotive Communications