Call for Research in BEP and Packaging
GRC's Interconnect and Packaging Sciences area is soliciting white papers in the BEP and Packaging areas for work to begin February 1, 2009 for an expected three-year period. However, awards of 1 year and 2 years may be made for exploratory programs intended to extend the understanding of radical concepts to full program viability. The SRC expects to fund the equivalent of approximately 25 researcher/student teams from this solicitation.
This call for research is issued to universities worldwide. It is open for researchers to participate as individual investigators, small teams, or Centers. Successful white paper authors will be invited to submit a full proposal, and a limited number of contracts will be awarded based on these proposals according to the schedule below.
GRC may elect to negotiate a project's research scope or composition to meet funding or distribution needs.
Member needs in BEP and Packaging, developed by a task force of SRC industry members, are outlined in the following needs documents; however, the areas of EXTENDABILITY OF Cu-LOW K, NOVEL APPROACHES TO INTERCONNECT AND THE GLOBAL INTERCONNECT PROBLEM, CHIP/PACKAGE SYSTEM CONCEPTS, POWER DELIVERY AND THERMAL MANAGEMENT have been identified as of immediate importance to continued progress in the semiconductor industry, and of special priority in this solicitation. In addition, special attention will be paid to white papers that include teamed theoretical and experimental investigators.
- Research Needs - Back End Processes
- Research Needs - Packaging
- Research Needs - BEP/Packaging Interface Technology
Responses are limited to three pages, using at least a 10-point font, and should describe the planned research approach, possible research outcomes, and the long-term significance to the semiconductor industry, if successful. The structure of the white paper is shown below. Funding in this solicitation will be divided among programs emphasizing BEP interests, programs emphasizing Packaging interests, and programs addressing the interface between these two areas. All three of these areas are expected to be well-represented in the final proposal selected. White Papers MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE SRC WEB SITE by THURSDAY, July 10, 3 PM Eastern/12 PM Pacific. White papers not meeting these requirements will be discarded.
Please include the following identifying information in your white paper:
- Project title
- Needs category/sub-categories addressed by your submission
- Telephone number and e-mail address
Please include the following sections in your white paper:
- Objective: what you plan to do
- Novelty: role of this research in providing a unique solution to the problem addressed
- Approach: strategy for addressing the problem
- Research Output: final research products and anticipated goals by year of a successful research program
- Funding: a per-year approximation of overall funding requirements (university approval and official budgets are not required at this time)
- The extent, if any, that this research requires the use of Background Intellectual Property
Awardees will be expected to:
- Resolve any blocking Background Intellectual Property issues before award of contract
- Update information about participating students
- Submit publications resulting from sponsored research
- Participate in annual research reviews
- Provide annual reports and pre-defined deliverables
|Open Call for White Papers||Friday, May 23, 2008|
|Deadline to Submit White Papers||Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3 PM Eastern/12 PM Pacific|
|Proposals Requested||Friday, August 22, 2008|
|Deadline to Submit Proposals||Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3 PM Eastern/12 PM Pacific|
|Funding Decisions Announced||Monday, December 15, 2008|
|Program/Funding Start||Sunday, February 1, 2009|